Adult Services

The adult hearing service is provided by an extensive team of specialist audiologists dealing with all aspects of hearing related problems and hearing aid care. We assess patients with hearing problems and support them through each stage of their treatment, from initial assessment to hearing aid fitting and follow-up care.

Patients seen in the Hearing Centre are referred by their GP or ENT consultant. We work alongside ENT consultants, providing assistance in managing hearing related problems.

Do I need a hearing aid?

If you are losing your hearing, you might find yourself struggling to communicate, which can affect your confidence and your quality of life.

  • Do your family and friends complain that you have the television too loud?
  • Do you have problems using the telephone?
  • Are you finding it difficult to hear in social situations, such as parties or in a restaurant?
  • Do you often mishear what people say or think that somebody has said something different?
  • Do you often ask people to repeat things?

If you are concerened about your hearing, you may like to take the Action on Hearing Loss hearing check. The Action on Hearing Loss Hearing Check is designed to help identify people who have hearing loss and encourage them to take action. Please click here for more information.

How do I get a hearing aid?

Most hearing loss occurs very gradually and you may not be aware that your hearing is changing. If you think you might need hearing aids, the first thing to do is visit your family doctor (GP) to get a referral.
It is important to mention if your hearing seems worse in one ear or if you have experienced any other ear related symptoms, such as pain, tinnitus or difficulties with balance. If you have experienced hearing loss which has occurred suddenly, or over a period of no more than three days, you should contact your doctor immediately.

Your GP can examine your ears for a build up of earwax which may be affecting your hearing. If it seems that you have too much wax, the doctor may give you ear drops to soften the wax and make it easier to remove. You may then need an appointment with a nurse to remove the wax.
If you do not have a wax build up or your hearing is not improved by wax removal, your GP may arrange a hearing test or carry out a simple hearing test using a tuning fork to discover more about the type of hearing loss you may have.

If a hearing aid could be helpful, you may referred directly to the Hearing Centre. Otherwise, your GP may refer you to an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) specialist. We offer services in a variety of convenient locations and your GP will discuss these options with you.